2008 Major Report
Use and costs of medications and other healthcare resources
This report has the following aims:
1. To describe the major trends in medication claims and costs among the three age groups of women in the ALSWH according to urban, rural and remote area of
2. To assess factors associated with medication claims by women with depression, asthma, arthritis, cardiovascular disease and diabetes (common conditions). Including:
– Describing medications claims for the index condition
– Comparing costs of medication and other health services for women with
– Assessing health outcomes associated with medication claims for selected
3. For common medications, to assess factors affecting the women’s long-term claims for statins, bisphosphonates and proton pump inhibitors.
4. To assess the uptake of new health care items and the impact of these items on
women’s use of health care services, costs, and health outcomes:
– 75+ Health Assessment
– Annual Cycle of Care for Diabetes.
5. To examine the use of complementary and alternative medical care by women in the three cohorts.
Byles J, Loxton D, Berecki J, Dolja-Gore X, Gibson R, Hockey R, Robinson I, Parkinson L, Adamson L, Lucke J, Powers J, Young A & Dobson A. Use and costs of medications and other health care resources: Findings from the Australian Longitudinal Study on Women’s Health.Report prepared for Australian Government Department of Health & Ageing, June 2008.